Friday, April 30, 2010

Ad Deconstruction, NHL style.




Growing up I have been an enormous sports fanatic. I love to watch any sport, but my favorites are football and hockey. The NFL (national football league) and NHL (national hockey league) are pretty creative with their ads, they are the type of ads that make me want to watch football or hockey all the time. I think about times when I'd be watching TV, not really paying attention, until one of those ads came on. During the I would get all excited and by the end I was all pumped up to watch sports. These ads often give me goosebumps as well. It's odd to me how a simple video could give me goosebumps, but it goes to show the effectiveness of their marketing. If the commercial is giving me chills then the odds are better I will remember it.

Ads are created to draw people in, to get them to buy a product or in this case watch a game. I chose this one because it brings in old NHL video and uses that as persuasion for people to watch the new generation of hockey players. It ties together the old playoff hockey excitement and invites people to partake in new playoff hockey excitement.

ASSOCIATION- It is linking together hockey and intensity. Hockey and excitement.

CELEBRITIES- It shows some of the NHL's greatest players in some of their greatest moments.

INTENSITY- It shows how one moment can change an entire game. How one shot can make you a hero. It is a fast paced, exciting commercial.

NOSTALGIA- It goes back to show a historic moment in the minds of hockey fans. They use this technique to show you, that new history will be made. It brings back images of simpler days in hockey of the way it used to be.

WARM & FUZZY- The music used is simple, yet beautiful. Put that together with the video showed and it brings simple happy feelings. It is almost euphoric in a sense, because the music is very simplistic- but it feels like so much more. Take the music out of the commercial and it loses something, but combined it does create a "Warm and Fuzzy" feeling.

1 comment:

  1. Really extensive and intelligent. =] Great job. It's cool you're into sports. I'm a soccer and snowboarding fan myself. =]

    ReplyDelete